Saturday, May 22, 2010

Tyra Banks: Be Your Own CEO - Step 9 - Time management

Tyra says

Time Management! Being your own CEO can make for a very busy life. Managing your time is important if you want to stay on track and accomplish your goals. I keep a schedule for
all day, every day and I carry it with me everywhere that I go! Whether it’s a business lunch, a night out to dinner with friends or an appointment with the dentist - it’s all there on my schedule. Here are some tips on how to manage your time and schedule your way to being your own CEO!

1. I already said it- schedule everything and write it down! Put it in your cell phone, in your computer or on your calendar. This is key to making sure you know where you need to be and when you need to be there.

2. Don’t over-commit! If you stretch yourself too thin, you’re never going to be able to give everything 100%. Only take on what you can handle for the day.

3. Don’t ever be late! Time is valuable when you are busy. Don’t waste your time (or other people’s) by being late. Give yourself enough time to get where you need to be on time or even early. Don’t forget- the early bird gets the worm!

Action points:

I have previously recommitted to using my diary to properly plan my life, and I have continued to do so, along with detailed To Do lists. How well I have managed things is then noted in my journal as part of my assessment of the past day.

This point about over-commitment is one that I really need to watch. I have had a habit for years of being too happy to say 'yes' to things - end result: over-commitment and failing to deliver properly, if at all. A pro doesn't do that.

Don't be late - how well do I know that to be true yet how poorly do I so often live up to it these days. I commit to being much more consciencious about being on time as part of my time management.

No comments:

Post a Comment